- Joy and energy. The handmade item has a different feel to it than something mass-produced because the artist has put a little bit of their joy and energy into each creation.
- Unique. No one else is going to have the exact same item you have.
- Quality. Handmade items usually are created by people who put the time into making sure everything is of high quality and put together in a fashion that will last longer.
- Detail. Handmade items have more attention to the details. Artists take the time to put beauty into every part of the work, even the parts that are merely functional, i.e, making a clasp of a necklace just as beautiful as the focal.
- Customer service. Speaking personally, I am a one-person operation. If you have a problem with something I've created you know that I am the person to contact. With every sale I make I include my e-mail and phone so that if a jump ring gets disconnected or a clasp no longer works you can reach out to me and I will fix that for you. If you are ever dissatisfied with a purchase I want you to let me know so that I can make it right.
- Support of the arts. Buying handmade encourages the artist to keep creating.
- Connection to an artist. You know who made the item and where it came from. The only one working for low wages and for long hours is that artist and they're doing it out of love, not because they have to work in a sweat factory.
- Beauty. Handmade goods have a beauty that you don't see on the shelves of the big box stores.
- Meaningful gift. When you buy something handmade as a gift it shows a little more thought went into the purchase than it would by just picking something up at the mall.
I could keep going but I think you're getting the point. If you think of any other reasons that I may have neglected please feel free to comment.
I'd also like to take the time to point out that Etsy now has gift cards available. If you can't decide what to buy that person who loves handmade this is the gift card for you. Many shops on Etsy (including Sleepy Cat Jewelry) now accept those gift cards. If you purchase a gift card before November 12, 2012 Etsy will enter you in a drawing to win a $250 gift card. Good luck and I hope you win!